New Life for Old Lamps
Posted by Annette on Thursday, January 5th, 2012
Here's the perfect weekend project for you and your post-holiday home - NEW Lampshades! If your shades are getting dingy, the dust just won't brush off anymore or you're just uber-tired of looking at the same old design, then Conso's Lifestyle Ready-to-Cover Lampshades are just what you need.
This project couldn't be easier and you will LOVE the new looks you can create. You'll find lots of different sizes and styles at our stores and while you're at it, check out the wastebaskets, tissue covers and picture frames that can be covered, too.
As you can see, we chose one of Home Decor's hottest fabrics for some of our items, but you can choose any thing you love to create your own custom look.
Here's how it works:
2. Use the pattern to cut your fabric to just the right shape and size. You can add 1/2" to the shorter end of the pattern for overlap where the edges meet or plan to use trim to cover the edges instead. If you're stenciling your fabric, cut it according to the pattern first, then stencil and let dry. That way you'll be able to place your stencil in just the right spot.
3. Carefully cover your sticky shade with the cut fabric. No need to rush - just stay relaxed and, without stretching, smooth the fabric as you go to prevent any wrinkles or bubbles from forming.
4. If you cut extra, fold the fabric under about 3/8" where the ends meet to cover the join. If you chose to use trim to cover the join, add the trim over the top of the seam, using a good fabric glue like Fabri-Tac to adhere the trim to the fabric covered shade.
5. Using your fabric glue, now add trim around the top and bottom of the shade. We used twill tape for our trims, but you could also use ready-made or cut-your-own bias trim or a coordinating ribbon or home decor trims like fringe, beads or pom-poms.
6. Now on to the most important step - admire your successful creativity!
Conso's Lifestyle wastebaskets, tissue covers and picture frames are just as quick and easy as the lampshades. You can freshen up and coordinate all the accessories in your dullest room in just one day, then relax with a nice cup of tea and enjoy!
this is just fabulous!!by Barb on 06 January 2012 at 10:03 p.m.